|CHAPTER 1 - CUSTOMS AND EXCISE (1ST BOOKLET) CODE | HOME|
|225A. Penalty for late payment.|
|Proper officer may take or allow samples to be taken.||Rewards.|
|Penalty for late payment. 14 of 1982, s. 8, 8 of 1991, s. 32, 13 of 1995, s. 49, 6 of 2001, s. 21.A 8 of 2008 s. 10||
225A. (1) Subject to sections 20 (2) and 158 where an amount of duty or other sum of money which is due under this Act remains unpaid after the date upon which it is payable, a penalty of two per cent per month or part thereof, of the unpaid amount shall forthwith be due and payable.
(2) Subject to subsection (3), a penalty imposed under this section shall be recoverable as though it were duty.
(3) A penalty imposed under this section in respect of non-payment of a sum of money payable pursuant to an order made under section 214, shall be recoverable as though it were part of that order.
(4) Notwithstanding any other provision of this section, a person from whom a penalty under subsection (1) is due may apply in writing to the Commissioner for remission of the penalty.
(5) Upon receipt of an applicant under subsection (4), the Commissioner shall, where the applicant has paid the principal duty in full, suspend the charging of the penalty pending the determination of the application.
(6) The Commissioner may, after consideration of an application under subsection (4) , remit the whole or part of the penalty due if satisfied that such remission is justified, and shall make quarterly reports of all remissions granted under this subsection to the Minister.
(7) Where remission under subsection (6) is not granted, or is granted in respect of only part of the penalty, the balance of the penalty shall become due and payable within ninety days of the determination of the application.
(8) If the balance of a penalty payable under subsection (7) remains unpaid after the expiry of the specified period, a surcharge of two percent per month or part thereof, of the unpaid amount shall forthwith be due and payable.