29th October, 2004
LEGAL NOTICE No. 120
IN EXERCISE of the powers conferred by section 3 of the State Corporations Act, I, Mwai Kibaki, President and Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces of the Republic of Kenya makes the following Order:-
THE NATIONAL CO-ORDINATING AGENCY FOR POPULATION AND DEVELOPMENT ORDER, 2004
1. Citation and Commencement.
This Order may be cited as the National Council for Population and Development Order, 2004.
In this Order -
"Council means the National Council for Population and Development established under paragraph 3.
There is hereby established a State Corporation to be known as the National Council for Population and Development.
4. Functions of the Council.
(1) The following are the functions of the Council -
(a) to analyze population issues and develop policies relating to population;
(b) to provide leadership and mobilize support for population programmes, including co-ordinating population programmes implemented by different organizations;
(c) to assess the impact of population programmes and make recommendations arising from such assessments;
(d) to assist other organizations in dealing with population issues;
(e) to identify and advise on population issues that may not be adequately or appropriately dealt with by the Government; and
(f) to advocate for political and other support to address population issues
(2) In this paragraph -
"population issues" means -
(a) issues that relate to, arise from, or influence mortality, reproduction or migration; and
(b) other issues that relate to population;
"population programmes" means programmes addressing population issues.
5. National Council for Population and Development.
(1) The management of the Council shall vest in a board which shall be responsible for the overall direction and management of the Council;
(2) The Board shall consist of the following members -
(a) a Chairman appointed by the President;
(b) the following ex officio members -
(i) the chief executive of the Board;
(ii) the Permanent Secretary in the ministry responsible for the Council;
(iii) the Director of Medical Services;
(iv) the Director of Education;
(v) the Commissioner for Social Services;
(vi) the Executive Director, Maendeleo ya Wanawake Organization;
(vii) the Secretary-General, Kenya Episcopal Conference;
(viii) the Chairman, Supreme Council of Kenya Muslims;
(ix) the Secretary-General, National Council of Churches of Kenya;
(x) the Executive Director, International Federation of Women Lawyers (FIDA) (Kenya Chapter); and
(xi) the Director-General, National Environment Management Authority;
(c) not more than two other members appointed by the Minister.
(3) Each member appointed under subparagraphs (2) (a) and (c) shall be for a renewable period of three years.
6. Annual Report.
(1) The Council shall prepare an annual report for each financial year and submit it to the Minister.
(2) The annual report for a year shall include the financial statements of the Council for the year.
(3) The Council shall publish the annual report after submitting it to the Minister.
Dated the 19th October, 2004.