Legal Name: The National Council for Law Reporting
Brand Name: Kenya Law
Organization type: A semi-autonomous state corporation
Parent Institution: The Judiciary
Parent Act: The National Council for Law Reporting Act
- Leadership & Governance – A Council of non-executive members chaired by The Chief Justice/President of the Supreme Court.
- Management - A Secretariat managed by a Chief Executive/Editor.
Status: The official publisher of the Kenya Law Reports and the Laws of Kenya.
Principal Office/Secretariat: ACK Garden Annex, 5th Floor,1st Ngong Avenue, Ngong Road.
Mandate & functions
Source of Mandate:
- Law Reporting - The National Council for Law Reporting Act
- Law Revision - Legal Notice No. 29 of 2009
- To monitor and report on the development of Kenya’s jurisprudence through the publication of the Kenya Law Reports;
- To revise, consolidate and publish the Laws of Kenya; and
- To undertake such other related publications and perform such other functions as may be conferred by law.
To provide universal access to public legal information by monitoring and reporting on the development of jurisprudence for the promotion of the rule of law.
To be the lead provider of public legal information towards an enlightened society.
Where Legal Information is Public Knowledge
Access to information
“As a member of the Free Access to Law Movement, at Kenya Law we believe that:
· Public legal information is part of the common heritage of humanity and maximizing access to this information promotes Justice and the Rule of Law;
· Public legal information is common property and should be accessible to all;
· As an organization that has the public mandate to publish public legal information, we should not impose unfair restrictions on the use and re-use of that information by other persons.”
Creating Shared Value
Being aware of our obligation in the advancement of society, we will care for the wellbeing of one another and of the environment and we will align our processes, services and products with the attainment of positive social outcomes.
Creativity and Innovation
A creative and innovative application of progressive ideas in developing new legal knowledge and improving organizational efficiency
The National Council for Law Reporting (Kenya Law) is committed to Law Reporting and Law Revision by providing accessible, accurate and timely publication of public legal information for an informed society.
In pursuit of this commitment, Kenya Law shall comply with all the applicable requirements and continually improve on its effectiveness by implementing a Quality Management System based on ISO 9001:2015
Kenya Law’s top Management shall on an annual basis review the established quality objectives and this policy to ensure sustainability.